2.13.2010

Slow American Xing

I am a product of American society. I expect things to be fast in all aspects. Referencing one of the Black Eyed Peas songs on their new album, I’m part of ‘Generation Now.’ This is a cultural reflection stemming from a developed nation, but hard to transfer to the developing lands of Ethiopia. I have mentioned before how I’ve somewhat enjoyed this change in pace. It is a quality I need to learn desperately, albeit quite frustrating. Living in a place where I need to reduce my speed, quite literally, I have come to realize the speed at which I live my life. I talk fast, read fast, walk fast (I blame that on trying to keep up with mom in the mall when I was young), learn fast, work fast…you get the point. I have to consciously tell myself to slow down if the person I’m with doesn’t beat me to the punch. The only figurative fire I’m running from is on top of my head, so what exactly is the rush? I tell myself that sometime in between now and two years, I will switch to this lower gear. I wonder how pliable this characteristic of mine is. Just like most other things, only time will tell. Being expediently efficient, or the euphemism I give it, has both good and bad traits. Good being that I am more productive. The bad is that most things that are sustainable are not done quickly. Real change takes time and time is not something that can be sped up or slowed down. There will always be sixty seconds in a minute. I realize this. Then why is it so hard for me to practice it? There are quick solutions to complex problems, but these solutions tend to fail before any marked progress has occurred. If I am to do things right, I need to get with the program. The irony is it will take time for me to learn to slow down and adapt this cultural way of life and it is something that I wish to happen now.    

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Are you willing to help me, a graduate student in University of Minnesota, understand the electrical needs of the people in Ethiopia?
    Thanks.

    Victor

    ReplyDelete