10.07.2010

Happy First Year Anniversary, Ethiopia!

If you print this out, I got you the traditional first year anniversary gift. We have come a long way, but I still wish you chewed with your mouth closed.  (I know, I know. Compromise.) It seems to me I have survived my first year as a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in Ethiopia. Does it look the same from where you are? I remember when it was my first day in country. I was the tender age of 22 and I couldn’t even say “thank you” in Amharic. Aw, cute. This kid has grown up. I am a whole 365 days older.  

 I suppose this is the best time as any to look back on the past year as a Volunteer. First, I’m still alive and enjoying most moments. My friend and I recently had a discussion on happiness. I think there are so many different levels and kinds of happiness. Such that, what I previously thought happiness was, was later proved wrong. I think it is safe to say that I am content here. Content is the best word. Coming from someone who is always thinking about the next step and at times (too many times, really) speaking before thinking, this means a lot. I tend to have this buzz in my ear saying, “Ok, you got here. What is next?” I would be dishonest if I told you I don’t ask myself this question now, but it is quieted down some. I have come to realize that although two years in my lifespan is not much, these two years will (hopefully) make an everlasting impact. In order to get as much as I can from this experience, I need to live in the present. Not the future, like I tend to do. Admittedly, I have already charted out the available options for my After- Peace-Corps-Life. I’ll share that with you later.  

So, what is different about the October 7, 2009 Emily from the October 7, 2010 Emily?

October 7, 2009 Emily

October 7, 2010 Emily
Well, it is hard to say. My hair is longer. I can speak and write Amharic better, for sure. I shower less. I could possibly be more patient, but that is still up for debate. I enjoy being by myself more. I can locate more countries in this colossal continent. A year is not long, but when you are placed in a situation like this, one might expect a complete lifestyle transformation. Eh. At least an enlightened perspective of living and working in a developing country. Yeah, I guess I have that. When I actually reflect about this experience more than the 10 minutes it took me to write this post, this “enlightened perspective” will be more apparent. (Here’s to hoping.) I’ll keep it updated. Promise.

The Musings of a Peace Corps Volunteer After the First Year


1         Today is probably a holiday for that saint
2.       Any names kids call me besides “You, You, You,” “Ferenji,” and “China” will suffice
3.       There are two seasons: muddy and dusty
4.       Never trust a fart
5.       One outfit can last a week and no one will question it
6.       Chacos, I hate that I love you
7.       Look down while walking or risk tripping over a rock
8.       Coffee comes from a raw bean, not a paper cup with a plastic lid (I will perform this magic trick at your next party for a nominal fee)
9.       There will most likely never be any budget available for this or that project
10.   Bargaining can be fun, especially if you don’t really want it
11.   Onions, garlic, and tomatoes are the key ingredients in 98.3% of all meals I cook
12.   Don’t get offended when Ethiopians say things like “You are fat, just like this bean.”
13.   Most people think I have lot of money and an endless supply of pens
14.   Don’t drink the water
15.   I still look awkward when being gorsha-ed (hand-fed)
16.   Barbare (red pepper spice) is my new ketchup
17.   The post office is closed
18.   Any non-Ethiopian seen on the street is thought to be part of my immediate family
19.   Squatting is the preferred rest position
20.   Don’t sit in the back seat or look out the front window while riding on a bus
21.   The meeting will never start at 8:30 AM
22.   Speak the local language and earn points
23.   Recite an Amharic proverb and earn bonus points
24.   It is never your idea, it is always their idea (if you want a project to be sustainable)
25.   I still don’t know what I’m doing and probably never will

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha Emily this is great. I feel some of things already for sure. I can't believe it's already been a year... thats awesome! Get it gurrl :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you and this blog is sooo entertaining! Can't wait to visit :)

    ReplyDelete