11.17.2010

Access Granted

Last week Ryota and I met with the school director and vice-director to clear up the confusion concerning the English Conversation Club. Before, as you know, the director was not having it, but we refused to settle with that response. During the meeting, we had the opportunity to state our case. Ryota made a good point about how teachers should work for the students and the students want this club. I agreed and I think the director did as well. I made the point about how I want the students to stop bothering me about perfecting their English (Ha, kidding. If I didn't want to help, I wouldn't be here). We talked in circles for an hour in which they kept on referring to "The Society." Adding the much needed air quotes when referring to it, I questioned how "The Society" had already formed an opinion about the club and the opportunity to inform the director of this said opinion before the students even knew about the club themselves. I apparently enjoy testing the boundaries and kept on asking who he meant by "The Society," but once again only received a vague answer. I can only conclude that "The Society" is Ethiopia's answer to America's "The Man." He probably wears a suit, too. After several articulated arguments, he told us out of the blue that we could work with the English Club already established. Confirming my already preconceived notions that we had wasted our time for the past two or so weeks when there was a clear and simple answer. Of course we will collaborate with the English Club, we actually prefer it. We left on good terms with the added bonus of him extending his appreciation for the support I have given for "The Society" in regards to HIV/AIDS. You can thank me later, future Injibara Peace Corps Volunteer.

The day after the meeting with the school directors, Ryota and I met with the English Club director to discuss our plan. He agreed to our terms. We probably should have used this avenue in the first place. But, hey, you live, learn, and then leave Africa. Yesterday we had an essay contest to help narrow down the interested students. We will have another one tomorrow, since yesterday was a holiday (surprise!) and there was no school. We will select the top students from the essay contest and then host an interview. We are not necessarily looking for the most "gobez ("smart") students, but the most motivated. It is hard to really measure that through an essay contest and interview, but it is better than having the teachers select with little to no criteria from a mass of over 4,000 students. We will start class after I return from helping train the new group of Peace Corps Volunteers that arrived almost 2 months ago. Until then, the students will wait in nail-biting anticipation to embark on this educational exploration in the world of English. Or so I like to think. Nevertheless, we got what want and that always feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment