12.13.2010

Snow White and the Ten Orphans

Over the past few months I have made vague references to a group of orphans. It would have been smarter to introduce them while the project was actually going on, but despite my father’s plea on weekend nights to “make wise decisions,” I didn’t and apparently still don’t. So here we are a month after the project has ended, recounting in blurry memory what it was like to go to an orphan shelter on a daily basis for three months.

CVM is the Italian NGO that sponsored this sheltering program for ten orphans (9 boys, 1 girl) and one housemother. This organization actually approached me to help them with this project. It is a relief to have someone else come to you to work on a project instead of the other way around for once. Moreover, a fellow PCV had worked on a similar project in her town and she spoke highly of it. So shortly after I returned from my trip to the States, I was introduced to the kids and since then I never looked back.

There were a lot of memories created having spent 90 mornings or afternoons (depending on when they had to go to school) together. From playing countless games of Memory, to relay races, to singing “head, shoulders, knees, and toes,” to watching a drama they created, to eating our last meal all on the same plate, each day was an adventure. Before leaving for Peace Corps, I spent my time daydreaming about what my days might be like. It is so easy to get caught up in it all, but there were poignant moments during my time at the orphan shelter that I thought, “I’m living the dream.”


I don’t think I can summarize my time adequately. So instead, I will reflect on each orphan who had me from “Dahna nesh (Are you fine)?!”…

Token aka Allems’ahay
The only girl—‘nuff said. Kidding. I was a little worried when I heard she would be the only girl living in a house full of boys. She was too. A volunteer from CVM and I interviewed her and learned some traumatic information concerning her past. All I should say is this girl has got some gumption.
Bashful aka Zewudu
It is hard to get Ethiopians to show teeth in any photo, but not for him. It would be rare a moment he wasn’t grinning. Every time I looked at him, he displayed his million-watt smile with a natural coyness that made me adore him. An honest kid who has an amazing knack for the English language.
Dopey aka Allena
There is a word in Amharic that describes him perfectly—‘miskin’ (‘poor boy’). We were playing a soccer game one night and he was the goalie. I turned around at one point and saw him standing in the goal facing the wrong direction, humming to himself, without his pants on. When I finally got his attention, he swiftly turned around realizing he was not wearing any pants and pulled his shirt down. He made this quizzical look that matched mine. I just wanted to give him a hug, well, after he found his pants.
Sneezy aka Ayano
This kid had one ailment after another. The first week was a cold, the last week was a black eye, then everything else in between. Also a really smart kid who diligently completed his homework. He preferred lying outside reciting biblical verses to himself instead of playing games.
Sleepy aka Bazozo
When he wasn’t taking a nap, he would keep the peace amongst the kids. A genuinely sweet person who just wanted everyone to get along.
Grumpy aka Demelash
His default face is a frown, but beneath it all he has a kind spirit. He would always be the first to greet me every day, running across the shelter compound or down the street to give me a hug that demanded no hug back. Afterwards, he would race inside to do handstands and other gymnastic feats hoping I would take pictures.
Sparky aka Dereje
What he lacks in height, he makes up for in spunk. He liked to instigate the other kids and get into fights. When I asked him to calm down, he would just look at me with an innocent expression, reach for my hand and study it with an unexplained curiosity.


Cranky aka Gazahine
He has the most adorable baby face, but also likes to wrinkle it and pout. He still looks cute though, so when he cries I am usually still smiling. One time we were all making forts outside. One of the kids came over and knocked it over. Inevitably he started sulking while Zewudu and I built a new one for him. After we made it we told him the ‘lexo’ (‘funeral’) was in the fort and he shouldn’t miss it. He started laughing and all was fine once again.
Doc aka Solomon
Clearly the leader of the group, he ran the show. A devishly smart kid, but also a street kid. The only one in the program that is a double-parent orphan. It is clear he gained his independence at an early age and fights to maintain it.
Happy aka Tegale
Always cracking jokes and smiling. I never saw him have a bad day. I will never forget the time he dressed up as a girl for the drama they made. A natural athlete and performer.

Most kids on the street know me by name and like to shout it...a lot. I was truly lucky to flip the script to not only learn their names, but actually get to know some of the people who come up to shake my hand or hug my knees on a personal level. During the Reunification Ceremony for the orphans and their guardians, the CVM director mentioned the time I spent helping with the program. The director continued and asked the guardians to look over at the kids huddled around me and said how it was apparent we all loved each other. It is true. Ethiopians do not necessarily express affection in the same ways as Americans. One way is not better than the other, but it is important that it is there and it is reciprocated. Although the program has ended, the kids still stop by my house to show me their English homework or play a game. These are ten relationships I hope never end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment